Mayflower 400 in Southampton and at Turner Sims
The 400th anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower from the UK to America takes place in 2020, with activities planned across the country including in Southampton, where Turner Sims is one of the partners involved in the city’s programme of events. More information on Mayflower 400 can be found at www.visitsouthampton.co.uk/mayflower-400
For Southampton, Mayflower 400 is an opportunity to:
• celebrate a city and a community, built on journeys and migration;
• tell the city’s story in all its richness;
• celebrate all the people of the world who have made Southampton their home and those have found sanctuary here;
• ensure Southampton continues to be a welcoming city;
• creatively explore the City’s wider and longer history as a marine city and gateway to the world;
• look at who we were, who we are, how our city has grown and to re-think our cultural and maritime future.
Thanks to a National Lottery Project Grant awarded to Southampton City Council in January 2020 by Arts Council England (ACE) 2020 will see a series of artistic projects and commissions to support the Southampton’s Mayflower 400 Anniversary programme. Turner Sims is working with Southampton City Council to produce a new music commission celebrating the lives of Southampton’s migrant communities and this page will update through the year on the project, its participants and stories.
Freelance Project Manager opportunity
Turner Sims is seeking a freelance Project Manager to work with us and partners Southampton City Council on our music commission project as part of Southampton’s Mayflower 400 programme.
The closing date for applications is Monday 20 July at 5pm.
See further details on the brief and apply here.