We are committed to making Turner Sims a welcoming and accessible venue for all.
The information below tells you how to register your access requirements with us online, how to request programmes or brochures in large print, and how to book wheelchair accessible seats online if required.
If you experience access difficulties before or after your visit, or if you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our service please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling our Box Office Reception on 023 8059 5151
If you have access requirements
• If you are a new customer please create a new account by clicking on Hello- Sign In and then on Register now:
• During the registration process when you get to Other Preferences tick all relevant boxes:
• If you are an existing customer you may update your access details by logging in to your profile and clicking on Other Preferences.
• Tick all relevant access boxes that apply to you and then scroll to the bottom of the box and click Save.
After selecting any access requirements please log out and back in again, in order for the system to recognise your requirements.
If you are a wheelchair user or have a mobility impairment
Turner Sims has a number of wheelchair spaces in the Auditorium and has full disabled access for both performers and audience members. There is level access to our Box Office reception, bar and toilet facilities.
• To book a wheelchair accessible space online, please ensure you have first logged in to your Turner Sims account and ticked ‘I am a wheelchair user (electric)’ or ‘I am a wheelchair user (manual)’ in ‘Other Preferences’.
• If you have ticked ‘I have a registered Assistance Dog’ or ‘I require a Personal Assistant’ in ‘Other Preferences’ you will be able to book a free ticket for these online.
• If you are a wheelchair user and require a personal assistant, you will be able to book a space in the wheelchair bay and a seat directly in front of the wheelchair bay for your personal assistant (if you need your personal assistant to sit next to you to please contact the Box Office via email email@example.com or on 023 8059 5151 during opening hours).
To book a wheelchair accessible space:
• Once you have registered your access requirements on your account, log in and find the event you wish to book for. If you have ticked ‘I am a wheelchair user (electric)’ or ‘I am a wheelchair user (manual)’ in ‘Other Preferences’, the seating plan will show wheelchair spaces marked with the wheelchair symbol and Personal Assistant seats for wheelchair users marked with a red star just in front of the wheelchair bay.
• Choose your space/seats by clicking on them and then click on Continue at the bottom of the page.
• Use the drop-down menus and select the ticket concession you require – if you require a personal assistant choose an ‘Access’ ticket for yourself and an ‘Access’ for your personal assistant and you will automatically receive your access discount at the checkout.
• Click continue. You will be given the option of buying interval drinks or ice-creams.
• Check out. You will receive confirmation of your booking by email.
If you encounter any booking difficulties, or if you would like to feed back to our team on how we can improve your experience, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 023 8059 5151.
To book a standard access seat plus a Personal Assistant:
Log in to your Turner Sims account or register as a new customer. To identify your access needs, click on ‘Other Preferences’, tick those options that apply to you and then click on SAVE at the bottom of the page. Please log out and then log back in again to make sure your options are registered with us. During the booking process, choose one Access ticket concession from the drop down box for yourself and another for your personal assistant. To qualify for a free ticket, your personal assistant must sit next to you – or if you are a wheelchair user, next to or in the row in front of you. One of your Access tickets will be discounted to £0 at the checkout for your personal assistant.
VISITING TURNER SIMS SOUTHAMPTON
Car parking on University of Southampton Highfield Campus is restricted to permit holders from 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. After 5pm and at weekends, parking is free. Parking is only permissible in disabled bays with a blue badge displayed. (For Sat Nav purposes only please use SO17 1PQ)
Our drop off point is the carpark behind the Turner Sims building and can be used at any time.
Visiting Turner Sims after 6pm (weekdays) and at weekends:
North side approach
• From the A33 (The Avenue) take the A35 (Burgess Road) then first right into University Road then first right into Salisbury Road.
• From the A335 (Thomas Lewis Way) take the A35 (Burgess Road) and turn left into University Road then first right into Salisbury Road.
• Continue to the end of Salisbury Road (please take care as this is a pedestrian-friendly zone) and turn left. You will locate the drop off point and our closest Blue Badge parking spaces in the first car parking area which is to the rear of the Turner Sims building. There is a level access footpath from here to the concert hall.
• If these spaces are occupied, follow the road through the car park and up a slight incline. There are further Blue Badge spaces alongside the University Health building.
Visiting Turner Sims before 6pm on weekdays:
South side approach
• From the A33 (The Avenue) take the A3035 (Highfield Avenue) then second left into Hawthorn Road.
• From the A335 (Thomas Lewis Way) take the A3035 (St Denys Road and Highfield Lane) and turn right into Hawthorn Road.
• At the end of Hawthorn Road turn left into Chamberlain Road and follow this road as it curves right to locate the university car parks. Continue down a slight decline to locate Blue Badge spaces alongside the University Health Building. Alternatively, continue to the car park at the rear of the concert hall to locate our closest Blue badge spaces and our drop-off point. There is a level access footpath from here to the concert hall.
• The Turner Sims is served by Unilink bus routes U1, U2, U6 and U9. These all pass through the University of Southampton Highfield campus
• They all drop off passengers at the Highfield Bus Interchange between the new Centenary Building and the old Nuffield Theatre (which currently houses the Faith & Reflection Centre)
• From here, there is a route of 350 yards to the concert hall on step-free paths
• Pass between the ‘Nuffield’ and the ‘Annex’ venues and turn left down a gentle ramp to the campus lawns
• Go left and then right to the centre of the lawns – you will see the Turner Sims on your right-hand side
• There is a gently sloping path leading to the three double door entrances
• The main entrance is the third one you come to and this has push buttons available for power-assisted door opening
If you are visually impaired
We are happy to provide large-print versions of the season brochure on request. Please contact us by email or by calling 023 8059 5151
If you are hearing impaired
There is an induction loop for those with impaired hearing.
If you have an Assistance Dog
Assistance dogs are welcome in all areas of the building. So that we can ensure there is appropriate space provided for you and your dog, please contact us by email email@example.com or by calling 023 8059 5151